2019 WTW Baby Bets Contest

It’s everyone’s favorite time of year again – foaling season! And of course, as has become tradition around here by now, that means it’s time for our annual Willow Tree Warmbloods Baby Bets contest. Baby horses plus free stuff, it doesn’t get any better than that.


First off, the prize package. This year it’s bigger and more awesome than ever! The winner of this year’s Baby Bets contest will receive:

  • a $50 Riding Warehouse gift card
  • Willow Tree Warmbloods swag – pick between either a WTW hat or a WTW saddle pad, style and color of your choice.
  • some Flix 100% flax seed horse treats, generously donated by Horse Guard
  • a bag of Michelle’s new favorite thing (that she first physically shoved me out of the way to obtain and now continuously orders online): a big ass bag of lucky charms marshmallows.

Money, swag, and treats for you and your pony!

No added sugar in the Flix, ALL added sugar in the marshmallows

Again this year there are only two expected foals, and from two very different ends of the spectrum. Lissa, a Grand Prix jumper mare, is in foal to GP jumper stallion Catoki,  and sportpony mare Stormie is in foal to German Riding Pony stallion Nuno!

We’ll do the rules just like last year. Basically all you have to do is exercise those psychic powers and comment here with your guesses for the following, for each foal:

  • Foaling Date
  • Foaling Time (doesn’t have to be to the minute accurate, just to the hour is fine – ie 2AM. If it happens in the 2AM hour, you get the points.)
  • Gender
  • Color
  • Face Markings
  • Leg Markings (again doesn’t have to be specific – “one sock”, “none”, “four socks”, etc will work)

So your submission should look something like this:

Lissa: 4/2 3AM bay filly with a stripe and two socks

Stormie: 5/21 8PM black colt with a blaze and 3 socks

But filled in with your actual guesses, of course. 😉 Everything you guess correctly will earn points. 10 points each for foaling date and time, and then 5 points each for gender, color, face markings, and leg markings… each foal can potentially net you up to 40 points. So even if you get a few things wrong, there are still ways to rack up some serious points. If there are any ties, I’ll put them all in a hat and get Michelle to pick a winner.

who’s ready for BABIES?

Submit your entries via a comment here on this post or you can message them to me on the blog’s facebook page. Just make sure you leave a link or an email address so I can contact you if you win! Easy peasy.

The “Due dates” I’ve listed below are based on the average 340 days gestation, but keep in mind that normal gestation can be anywhere from 320ish to 360ish. I’ve included pictures of both combinations and whatever info is important so you can make your best guesses.


Lissa is a bay mare, and we know she carries a red gene since her first foal was chestnut. Catoki is also bay, but he too has sired chestnut offspring therefore has a red gene. That gives us roughly 75% chance for bay or black, 25% chance for chestnut. Lissa has 3 small socks and Catoki has a big star/snip and 3 socks.  Her “due date” is 4/6.

Lissa in action
Catoki in action


This one is a lot more challenging, color wise. Stormie is gray but appeared to have been born grulla, and has maybe a face marking. Nuno is black with a blaze and a sock. If our guesses at their color genetics are correct, that gives us 25% chance of grulla, 25% chance of black, 25% chance of grulla that turns gray, and 25% chance of black that turns gray. Since we may or may not know for a while if the foal will turn gray, I’ll just take a base color here for a guess. So black or grulla, we think –  but you don’t have to take my word for it.  “Due date” is 5/25, and this is Stormie’s first foal.

Stormie in action
Nuno in action

I’ll leave entries open through 3/18, that gives you a week to get your guesses in! The contest winner will be revealed after the last foal is born. Obviously I have no idea exactly when that’ll be, hopefully by the end of May, so you’ll just have to stay tuned.

Who’s really excited for baby pony pictures?

28 thoughts on “2019 WTW Baby Bets Contest

  1. OMG A STORMIE BABY! I freaking adore that little pony.

    Lissa, April 11, 9am, bay colt with star and 2 socks
    Stormie, June 3, 1am, black filly with blaze and 2 socks


  2. Well my only take away from this is wondering if I can convince my husband that I need that Catoki baby. He’s only my most favorite stallion in existence…


  3. I’m gonna try this year (and be miserably off base, I’m sure!).
    Lissa: 4/8, 11 PM, bay colt, star, 3 socks
    Stormie: 5/30, 2 AM, black filly, stripe, small sock


  4. My guesses:
    Lissa’s foal will be a 10PM April 1st bay filly with a big snip and three socks. (Am I making this guess soley because I want this exact baby? POSSIBLY.)
    Stormie’s foal will be 4AM June 12th black colt with a stripe and a stocking.


  5. Lissa: colt, chestnut, 4/6, at 1 am with a star and 2 socks
    Stormie: filly; black, 5/27, at 3 am with stripe and 1 sock

    There’s my guesses! I’m totally rooting for Lissa’s due date cause that’s also my bday and that’d be awesome lololol


  6. I’m going to jump in on the fun despite being overseas haha.

    Lissa: 4/1, 4AM bay colt with stripe and 2 socks

    Stormie: 5/13 at 3AM black filly with a sock and 1 star

    Did I do those dates the right way?


  7. Lissa:
    Date: 4/4 – (come on Lissa that’s my bday!)
    Time: 8pm
    Gender: colt
    Color: chestnut
    Face: star
    Legs: two socks

    Date: 5/30
    Time: 4am
    Gender: filly
    Color: black
    Face: blaze
    Legs: none


  8. LISSA 4/2 at 6AM BAY COLT with STAR and 3 SOCKS


    I am so excited to see baby pictures and announcements! Put me on the waitlist for a Stormie baby (especially if it is sired by Usandro!). Thanks for the fun contest.


  9. Yes! My favorite contest of the entire internet. I almost won last year except the whole gender reveal thing went awry, haha. Let there be (actual) fillies this year!
    Lissa: 4/10 at 10pm, bay filly with a big star and three socks
    Stormie: 5/23 at 6am, black filly with a blaze and two socks


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s