I’m late to the party on this one from The Red Mare, but this is what happens when I don’t have time to write a new post and have to pull from previously drafted ones. It still counts.
1. Mares or Geldings? Why? I don’t have a strong preference either way, but all other things being equal I prefer mares.
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke? Again, no real preference. As long as I like the horse, either is fine.
3. Would you own a “hotter” breed? Yes. I prefer a sensitive, forward-thinking horse.
4. What was your “dream horse” growing up? A 16.3h dapple gray warmblood gelding. That is no longer the case in any way, shape, or form!
5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why? A fairly fat KK loose ring, because it’s what Princess Henry likes. Sometimes I ride him in a hackamore too.
6. Helmets or no helmets? Always helmets. Pretty ones preferred.
7. Favorite horse color? Bay.
8. Least favorite horse color? Pinto or cremello or dominant white. Blue eyes creep me out, too.
9. Dressage or Jumping? No contest – jumping.
10. How many years have you been riding? 24. You’d think I’d be better at it by now.
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip? Either or both, when circumstances call for it.
12. Your first fall? Not long after I started riding, but I don’t remember the exact circumstances. I fell off a lot as a kid, it all blurs together.
13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do? Yesterday, riding around so the vet could watch.
14. Most expensive piece of tack you own? Believe it or not, the Childeric dressage saddle that I just bought for $1295 is the most expensive, even more than my CWD. I try to be
cheap frugal even though I love nice things.
15. How old were you when you started riding? 8 years old.
16. Leather or Nylon halters? Leather
17. Leather or Synthetic saddles? Leather. I’m not Bobby.
18. What “grip” of reins do you like? The Nunn Finer soft grip rubber reins are my favorite.
19. English or Western? English. Although when I’m old and can’t jump anymore I’ll get a reiner.
20. How many horses do you currently own/lease? I own two.
21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board? Full board.
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved? Thank god no, not yet. Knock on a million different kinds of wood.
23. How many saddle pads do you have? Uh. A lot.
24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul? Straight load, for sure. Nothing over 15.3h seems to fit comfortably in your average slant stall, plus I think it’s harder for the horses to balance. During acceleration and braking they’re putting more stress on the right front or left rear vs balancing themselves equally on both front or both hind legs in a straight load. In a straight load they also have a lot more freedom of movement for the head and neck, so they can stretch their neck down and clear the lungs. Plus you can access whichever horse you want without having to unload the others. The only thing I don’t like about a straight load is that they have to back out, but with a ramp all of mine have backed out just fine.
25. Why do you ride? It’s the only thing that keeps me even remotely sane.